I seldom would refer to a smoothie as a suitable substitute for a breakfast, but in this case I am making an exception.
Thick, filling and freaking darn delicious, it is the sort of smoothie that is perfect to pop into a plastic bottle and sip on your way to work. Transportable and practical, I would give up my bowl of holy porridge for this any day.
As so many of my favourite recipes do, this one came about rather by chance. My hungover sunday self was on the hunt for something cleansing and luckily happened upon a winner. Beetroot is known for being a very liver cleansing vegetable; it rids away toxicity and gives the body a good dose of a hell of a lot of potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine and folic acid, to name but a few. It is also a great ingredient to balance levels of stomach acidity, always a plus post-boozy bender.
I opted for brazil nuts because I love their smooth creaminess, if you don’t have them to hand I would recommend you opt for raw macadamias or whole un-roasted almonds instead. The milk you use is completely to choice, I had Oat Milk to hand on this occasion.
A note about alternative milk
All have their benefits, but some are better than others for certain things. These are a few I recommend.
- Oatly’s Organic Oat Milk : Thick and more substantial, its great for frothing. It makes a brilliant matcha latte, hot chocolate or cappuccino
- Unsweetened Almond Milk : No carbohydrates, so its great if you are cutting out sugar, or diabetic
- Rude Health Brown Rice milk has a great flavour, as it is quite thin it is ideal for smoothies, lighter porridge or cereals
Ingredients: Beetroot, Blueberry and Brazil Nut Smoothie
- 1/2 large Beetroot
- 1 small Banana, or 1/2 large one
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Spinach
- 6-8 Brazil Nuts, you can also use macadamias
- 1/2 cup Milk, any alternate sort you fancy.
You know the drill… Put it all in the blender and whizz to deliciousness!