This is a recipe all about utilising leftovers and minimising waste. Here I have a bit of leftover roast sweet potato and some cooked quinoa and using a few cupboard staples have made it into something very delicious. Adapt with what you have available in your fridge
I have put alternative options below.
Basics principals to make are : one root veg, a grain, a handful of leaves, fresh herbs, some spices and a yoghurty dressing
Vegan lunch bowl with tahini yoghurt recipe
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato, could use carrot, squash or beetroot
- 175g/ 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, brown/wild rice or spelt
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml water or veg stock
- a handful rocket, or baby spinach leaves, washed
- 2 tbs sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbs parsley, coriander or mint, chopped
- chopped red chilli, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- black sesame or toasted sesame seeds, to finish
- 1 tbs coconut or almond yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp mango chutney/ aubergine pickle/ date paste/ sweet tamarind chutney
Heat a pan over a medium flame.
Add 3/4 the garlic and oil and cook for a couple of mins then add the cumin seeds, after 30 sec add the remaining spices. Cook for another 30 secs and add in the cooked quinoa with the stock/ water. I like stock because i adds extra flavour – so I might melt 1/3 stock cube in the water. Add the sweet potato and spring onions and cook the mixture, tossing it in the pan for 5 minutes, or until it is warmed through.
Once hot, add the sundried tomatoes, chilli (if using) herbs and spinach and toss to combine. If you have used water earlier in the recipe, now is the time to season the quinoa mixture.
Mix the tahini and yoghurt in a small bowl with the juice 1/2 lime, remaining grated garlic and a pinch of salt.
Once warm turn the sweet potato salad onto a plate and top with the tahini yoghurt , marbling through the mango, or chosen chutney.